Until I moved away from my grandmother, I would make it a point to surprise her with not only a complete dinner, but also a nice dessert. Every year, I would come up with a new dessert to treat the woman who raised me and it had to be good =) This was one of her favorites and she asked for it this year as well. One great thing about this dessert is how light it is!
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup 100% raspberry spreadable fruit
- Combine the cake mix, eggs, egg white, water and applesauce then beat on low speed for around 30 seconds. Turn the mixer on medium and beat for 2 minutes. Pour into two 9 inch round baking pans coated with cooking spray and lined with a parchment round of the same size.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pans to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat first four frosting ingredients until smooth. Then beat in enough milk to reach a thick, but spreadable consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate and spread with the spreadable fruit. Put the second layer on top of the first, making sure to line it up and frost top of cake.
- **For a nice garnish, candy some lemon peel, sugar some raspberries and pile on the top of the frosting.**
**Photo is the property of Taste of Home I don’t own the rights to this photo**